Many streets in Royal Windsor (plus Eton, Clewer and Dedworth) have names with quite a bit of history to them. Researching the stories behind the names is a great way to learn more about the history of the town where you live. (Updated August 2023)
Named after Prince Albert, the street which forms a westerly extension to Bexley Street comprises mostly Victorian era terraced workers cottages.
Arthur Road is simply named after the Prince Arthur. There are plenty of Windsor street names that refer to royalty for obvious reasons. The Prince Arthur pub has some lovely green tiles on the doorway. The Duke of Connaught pub on the Maidenhead Road is named after the same person.
Sir Francis Tress Barry, 1st Baronet (1825 – 28 February 1907) made his fortune from a copper mine in Portugal. He lived on St Leonard’s Hill and was MP for Windsor from 1890 to 1906.
It is appropriate that opposite the Bexley Arms is the Vansittart Pub. Both of these and the streets that bear their names relate to The Vansittart family (Nicholas Vansittart, 1st Baron Bexley was one of the longest-serving Chancellors of the Exchequer in history).
The film Carry on Cabby (1963) was filmed around Windsor and the King Edward VII Hospital, Bolton Road was featured.
This crescent is named after the nearby ditch known as the Battle Bourne that flows through the great park. You can follow quite a bit of the route of the Battle Bourne from the Village in the Great Park where it feeds the ponds, down toward Windsor. The bourne actually crosses beneath the Long Walk at a point just a little way before you pass through the gates out of the deer park. from there it heads toward Old Windsor, leaving the castle grounds close to the royal farm shop and joining the thames a little way downstream from Albert Bridge.
Haven’t found out anything about this street name yet.
There is a tantalising reference to Captain Bulkeley being unfortunately absent due to ill health at the opening of the Royal Albert Institute in Sheet Street on 10th January 1880. He was a comittee member who raised the subscription for the founding of the Institute. 38 years earlier a Captain Bulkeley paid £25 toward the new Garrison Church in Trinity Place. Best of all Captain Bulkeley of Clewer Lodge, Windsor is listed in 1861 as being on the board of directors of the Great Western Railway.
Sidney Camm was born in a small house in Alma Road. He went on to become an aeroplane designer and was the man who designed the Hawker Hurricane. The hurricane by the river at the end of Barry Avenue is a good memorial to him and worth coming to see.
The big board upstairs at the Guildhall shows that Sir William Carter was elected Mayor of Windsor thirteen times. His portrait hangs in the Mayor’s parlor. He got his knighthood in 1920.
Edward Charlton of the Irish Guards was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross in 1945. He was the last soldier of the Second World War to be so honoured.
The pedestrianised route from the Castle gate toward the parish church has an obvious name these days, but in former years this was ‘Fish Street’ where the fishmongers of Windsor sold their wares.
Simply named after the Duke of Clarence who later became King William IV (and is also commemorated in the name ‘William Street’). Lots of Windsor street names refer to royalty. Clarence Crescent was built by James Thomas Bedborough who also did lots of rebuilding of the Castle in the 1820s and built Upton Park near Slough. He was a Mayor of Windsor and his commemoration stone is around the back of the Parish Church on St Alban’s Street.
Clewer is the old name for the whole area. It predates ‘Windsor’ and Clewer church is the oldest building in town. In fact the Monarch used to pay rent to Clewer church for the use of the land where Windsor Castle stands. The name Clewer is probably of Saxon origin and means cliffs or cliff dwellers. If you imagine the days before the castle and trees were there, then from the river, the most impressive and memorable aspect of the area would be the big chalk cliff rising up from the flood plain.
Louise Victoria Alexandra Dagmar, Princess Royal , was born 20 February 1867 to prince Edward (later Kind Edward VII) and Alexandra.
The road is named after the village of course, but did you know the name Dedworth has Saxon origins. It comes from “Dydda’s Worthy” meaning Dydda’s Farm. According to David Nash Ford’s Royal Berkshire History By 1800, there were only thirteen dwellings in Dedworth. How times change.
Sir Joseph Devereux was Mayor of Windsor in the 1880s.
The ‘Duke of Connaught’ pub on the corner of this Victorian Street gives us a big clue that the street was named after Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn. He was the third son of Queen Victoria. Born at Buckingham Palace in 1850 he had a long military career and died in 1940 at his home of Bagshot Park at the southern end of the Windsor Great Park estate. I have read that in earlier times the street was formerly named St Andrew’s Road.
Henry Filmer was one of the Windsor Martyrs, burned to death in 1543.
There are seven streets on Dedworth’s Broom Farm Estate the are just named with a single surname. Each commemorate a recipient of the Victoria Cross. Christopher Furness was 28 years old, and a lieutenant in the 1st Battalion, Welsh Guards was killed in hand to hand combat at Arras while covering the retreat toward Dunkirk in 1940. As a youngster, Furness had attended Eton College.
Gallys was Mayor of Windsor in Shakespeare’s day. He was also the owner of a local pub and some historians believe that galleys is the landlord who appears in Shakespeare’s the Merry wives of Windsor.
This one might have been difficult to pin down, except that it joins Nelson Road. It is a fair bet that this road also refers to a national military hero. General Gordon of Khartoum became a famous military leader in the mid 1800s.
Goslar is one of Windsor’s twin towns. A very pretty medieval German town in Lower Saxony.
Goswell is one of Windsors really old roads. The small park known as the Goswells which this road crosses came about through Victorian slum clearance.
Princess Helena (1846 – 1923) was the third daughter and fifth child of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. She married Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein and the couple lived for much of their lives at Cumberland Lodge in the Great Park. Helena’s favourite son Prince Christian Victor is commemorated in a statue at the foot of Thames Street.
Along with neighboring Stuart Way and Tudor Way these street names celebrate British Royal Families.
In 1943 Lance Corporal John Kenneally of the Irish Guards single-handedly charged and repelled a group of German soldiers who were about to attack his division in the Battle for Tunisia. For his heroism he was awarded the Victoria Cross and was later mentioned in a famous speech by Prime Minister Churchill. The street named after him in Dedworth is among a collection of streets all named after Victoria Cross recipients.
Augustus Keppel was MP for the town in the 1760s and 70s.
Plenty of Knights of the Realm in Windsor but also Charles Knight the bookseller and founder of the Windsor and Eton Express.
Not, Liddell Street, Liddell Road, Liddell Close or anything fancy; just Liddell. The simplicity hides an amazing tale of heroism. On 3rd April 1945 Captain Ian Liddell of the Coldstream Guards took actions that allowed his batallion to take the bridge over the Ems river near Lingen, Germany intact. He faced over 150 guns constantly firing at him from a fortified position, and yet alone, he managed to cross the bridge a number of times and sucessfully disarmed the explosive charges the Germans had set to destroy this vital river crossing. He was awarded the Victoria Cross.
Mead is an old name for meadow and the name comes from the field of the same name that was here before it all got built on.
Dedworth Loring was the name of one of two Manor houses west of Windsor. the De Loring (or Loryng) family were almost certainly descended from Albert Lothingaria, the Royal physician who owned Dedworth at the time of the Domesday Book.
The small street in Dedworth is named after Captain Charles Lyell (2nd Baron Lyell) of the Scots Guards. He was educated at Eton, and In 1943 in Tunisia he led an attack on an enemy emplacement of an 88 millimetre gun and a heavy machine-gun in two separate pits. Both guns were silenced by his actions though Lyell himself was eventually killed in the assault. He was award the Victoria Cross, the nation’s highest possible award for valour in the face of the enemy.
John Marbeck 1541 Became an organist at St. George’s chapel. He was later accused of uttering sacrilegious words against the mass. He was found guilty at the trial of “the Windsor martyrs’ and sentenced to death. However he was pardoned unlike his three fellow accused, Filmer, Pierson and Testwood who all were executed by burning at the stake.
Althhough Admirial Nelson doesn’t have much of a link with Windsor it was almost inevitable that a street here would be named after him. The duke of Clarence ( later King William IV) did actually serve with Nelson in the West Indies when he was a young man.
One of the obvious names, Park Street leads to the park and the top of the Long Walk.
Pierson was on of the three Windsor Martyrs burned at the stake during the reign of Henry VIII
Probably the oldest street in Windsor, Peascod is an old name for a pea pod. in 1308 the name was recorded as Pesecroftestrete.
Poolmans Farm once stood here, so this is a street named after a local family.
The street takes its name from the bens in the river known as Ruddle’s pool which sits behind the houses at the north end of the road.
A sheepcote is a small structure for holding sheep in. Many parishes had permanent and often roofed cotes, so that the farmers bringing their sheep to market could have somewhere to keep their flock together when stopping on route.
The sheet was a medieval common field.
William Sidney, 1st Viscount De L’Isle was educated at Eton and was later in life a Member of Parliament, Secretary of State for Air under Churchill and was the fifteenth Governor General of Australia. However, his Dedworth street name was conferred for a different reason. In 1944 in Italy he led a handful of men in defending the Anzio beachhead. After two displays of heroism in short succession, Sidney was badly wounded in a German attack, but continued to inspire his men and refused medical treatment until the Germans had been beaten back. He was awarded the VC and this is why he is commemorated with a Windsor street name.
St Albans Street
Named after the actress Nell Gwynn’s son! King Charles II and Nell had two illegitimate sons together. The eldest named Charles, was given the title Duke of St Albans. The family lived close to the Castle near the Long Walk in Burford House.
St Leonard’s Road
This old road leads toward St Leonard’s Hill. The name itself comes from the chapel of St. Leonard of Losfield in Windsor Forest which was established sometime in the thirteen hundreds. The hill itself appears to have had some degree of Roman occupation.
The Haonoverians, Tudors and Stuarts are remembered by three streets in West Windsor.
Stovel became lord of the manor of Clewer after the third Arthur Vannsittart died in 1859.
Surly Hall Walk
This is a strange name for a short road to the west of town. The road leads up towards the park and then to the Maidenhead Road and it was here that the Surly Hall Hotel once stood. According to Dickens ‘book of the river’ Surly Hall was a “tavern well known to all oarsmen, and especially dear to every Etonian. It is on the Berks bank, about half a mile above Boveney Lock. The house has recently been renovated, and affords reasonably good accommodation. During the summer season the Eights of the Eton Boat Club pay periodical visits to Surly, on which occasions great havoc is wrought amongst the ducks and green peas. In a meadow opposite are laid out the tables for the feast at the annual celebration of the birthday of George III, the 4th of June, the great event … in the Eton boy’s year.”
In 1851 the Landlord was a Mr Henry Hall. The hotel or inn was pulled down around 1900. The Maidenhead Road used to have a different name. It was still listed as Surly Hall Road in the 1910 Ordinance Survey map. Surley Hall located near the present day ‘Squires’roundabout where theMaidenhead road meets Ruddlesway. (A note to future historians. This roundabout is locally known as Squires after the garden centre that can currently be found there.
Testwood was on of the three Windsor Martyrs burned at the sake during the reign of Henry VIII. Their execution took place close to where Thames St crosses the Datchet Road.
Old street names were often practical. It’s the street that leads down to the River Thames.
Tinker is an old name for a traveling mender of metal household utensils, but general travellers of any sort used to be called Tinkers by the general public.
The Rt. Hon. Sir Charles Trevelyan M.P. was President of the Board of Education in 1930 when he opened the new Windsor Council School (renamed in 1954 as Trevelyan School)
Trinity church can be found here, so the naming seems obvious but Windsor has a Trinity connection that you may not know about. The Guildhall was built by the members of the Trinity Guild. This was the Guild of merchants who effectively ran Windsor for many hundreds of years.
Along with Stuart Way and Hanover Way, these names simply commemorate former royal dynasties.
Vale Farm stood about half way along the path that was turned into a residential street in the 1930s and the road was named after the farm.
Arthur Vansittart became Lord of The Manor of Clewer in 1720. It then passed to his son (another Arthur) and then Grandson (Arthur again) who died in 1859.
Named after King William IV who reigned from June 1830 for seven years and was succeeded by his niece Victoria
I read online that the last wild wolf in Berkshire was killed in Dedworth, and the street name commemorates this, but when I asked for a reference there was no response. For now, we will withhold judgement on this etymology.
Wright is the name of a small close at the top of Guard’s Road in Dedworth, Windsor. Peter Wright was a 27 year old Sergeant Major in the Third Battalion of the Coldstream Guards in 1943 in Salerno, Italy. When attacking a steep hillside Wrights company found themselves pinned down with most of their officers killed or out of action. Wright took charge and single-handedly took out three German machine gun posts, led his men in beating off a counter attack and secured their objective. He was initially awarded a Distinguished Conduct Medal but this was later upgraded to the Victoria Cross on the instruction of King George. Along with other VC recipients Charlton, Furness, Kenneally, Liddell, Lyell and Sidney the Guard’s Road area is a great place for their names to be remembered as many military families live in the area.
Theoretically this could be named after Wyatt who remodelled the Castle in the reign of George IV but its location close to Broom Farm leads us to believe it related to Victoria Cross recipient George Wyatt of the Coldstream Guards. On 25/26 August 1914 at Landrecies, France, he extinguished burning sacks of straw whilst under heavy fire in order to be able to hold his position.
There are plenty of streets that I haven’t discovered the names of so if you have more to add on this subject please do get in touch.